Screencasts are an excellent tool to convince your colleagues or customers of automating their communication and business processes using Rogerthat. Typically you will
- Create a few sample communication flows for your customers
- Design them in the Message Flow Designer
- Create and apply message branding using your customers logos and themes
- Run the message flow in an Android or iPhone simulator, and capture this in a screencast
- Show off your results
Creating a screencast for Android
It is possible to create a screencast for Android completely for free on your Windows, Mac or Linux computer. This is very valuable to give demos to customers.
Here are the installation instructions for Windows:
- First you need to install the Java JDK from Oracle. If you do not have it, download and install it from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html – Make sure you pick the JDK and not the JRE!
- Now you need to install the Android emulator from Google:
- Download and install the SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
- For Windows, the easiest is to use the installer executable (e.g. installer_r16-windows.exe)
- At the end of your installation, the “Android SDK Manager” will open. If not, you can always start it from the Windows Start Menu; Android SDK Tools; SDK Manager
- Install everything from the latest SDK: at this point this corresponds to Android 4.0.3 (API15). Also install the “Google USB Driver package”.
- Click “Install 7 packages”; click “Accept all” licenses
- Now the installation starts. It can take a few minutes
- When finished, close the Android SDK manager
- Now create an Android emulator image:
- Go to Start Menu; Android SDK Tools; AVD Manager
- Select “New”
- Give name “Rogerthat”
- Select target “Google APIs (Google Inc.) – API Level 15”
- Choose SD card size 256MB
- Click “Create AVD”
- Now start the Android emulator
- In the AVD Manager, select your AVD image, and click “Start”
- On slow systems, this can take up to 10 minutes
- Wait until the emulator is fully booted and you see the Android home screen.
- Download rogerthat.apk from our site and install it on the emulator: Start Menu; Accessories; Command Prompt. Type the following commands. Correct the path to rogerthat.apk:
cd "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools" adb install C:\path\to\rogerthat.apk
- Finally start Rogerthat on your emulator
Recording your screencast is possible using any screencasting software. For example Screencast-o-matic is free.
Creating a screencast for iPhone
Creating a screencast for iPhone, requires support from a third party web service:
- Log on to www.pieceable.com
- Purchase an account. The “Basic” plan is good enough
- Send us an email such that we can upload Rogerthat to your account
- You will receive a link, and you can run the iPhone app right in your browser.
It is helpful to display a real hand while recording screencasts. On Mac this application can be used: PhoneFinger. This is a free tool.
Recording your screencast is possible using any screencasting software. For example Screencast-o-matic is free!